Sunday 3 February 2013

Gordon's Wine Bar

A while back I was taken on a date to Gordon's wine bar by Embankment. Not the best date I've had, but at least I discovered this great little venue!

To describe Gordon's simply as a Wine Bar would be rather unfair. Unlike it's new and fanciful competitors - here today and gone tomorrow - Gordon's has truly withstood the test of time. Founded in 1890 Gordon's is proud to be the oldest wine bar in London.

Be warned though- Gordon's looks it's age, but in the charming, authentic way that only age can accomplish. Heading down the stairs to the little bar I did feel somewhat transported into Victorian London and little candlelit tables in shadowy alcoves make the perfect setting for intimate conversations. However, on this occasion we sat in the outside seating area, which was also very pleasant and great for larger groups.

Now for the best bit - the wine, or more specifically the wine and cheese combination. After picking a wine form the lovely selection on offer you can make your way over to the cheese counter where they will recommend you cheeses to go with your wine creating foody-wine heaven on a cheese-board. I was drinking Rioja (my favorite red) and was very pleased with my combinations.

Needless to say I shall be heading back to Gordon's in the near future for a little bit more of that authentic charm and recommend it to all the cheese and wine lovers of the world.

Rose xx

No comments:

Post a Comment